About Recemat metalfoam
RECEMAT® metalfoam, ins and outs
The manufacturing of the metalfoam starts with an open cell polyurethane foam that is being metallised. Subsequently, the polyurethane is removed by a pyrolysis. Generally, the initial metallisation is done with nickel metal. The resulting nickel metalfoam, after being heat treated, is used in applications where high electrical and thermal conductivity are of importance. In applications where high strength and rigidity are required, the base foam has to be chromised and further heat treated. The final result is a three dimensional, extremely porous structure of unexpected strength and wear resistance and high corrosion resistance.
Foam material can be machined with appropriate tools. It can be cut by shearknife or by special circularsaws. It can be laser cut, EDW machined, rolled (to form a cylinder), it can be drilled, brazed etc. It may also be compressed to a requested thickness.
Recemat® metalfoam is an extremely open cell structure of so called “struts”; a three dimensional hollow skeletal metal where the cavities cover more than 95% of the total volume. As a result the Recemat® metalfoam has a very low density compared to solid material, yet an unbelievable rigidity and structural strength.
Check out our new laser cutting video below!
Overview of the different Recemat® material qualities
- Recemat has Al (Aluminium) open cell foams available.
- Copperfoam Cu in many different grades and thicknesses.
- Titaniumfoam Ti and even stainless steel foam, Very exotic and extremely expensive.
- Nickel Ni foam is our basic quality.
- Nickel-Chromium NC has inherent good properties for use in structures where strength, high temperature resistance and corrosion resistance are required.
- Nickel-Chromium-Extra NCX when even better properties are required.
- Nickel-Chromium-Aluminium NCAX (Nickel Chromium alloyed with Aluminium) to improve oxidation resistance at high temperatures.
- A special quality metalfoam is NC-TiN Nickel Chrome with a Titanium Nitride coating.
- Gold plated Nickelfoam NiAu.
- Platinum plated Nickelfoam NiPt for catalyst and fuel cell applications.
- NiFeC – an experimental Nickel Iron Chromium quality metalfoam.